Volunteering with the Rye Harbour Sailability family
Rye Harbour Sailability, a registered charity, is run by an enthusiastic and dedicated team of volunteers who are keen to make a difference, by getting people with disabilities out on the water sailing. Launched in 2017, we saw our numbers increasing quickly, which made it harder last year, when all of us felt the frustration of only being able to sail a couple of times. As a charity, we need to raise funds to cover our costs and in ordinary times we have a full social programme to help us to do this. Last year by working as a team we came up with some innovative ways to raise funds for our charity. Catch up with the latest news for more information.
“We are here to enable people with disabilities to experience the fun and freedom of sailing”
As a volunteer with the Sailability family, you can make a difference. If you can spare some of your time, you could help by:
• helping people to sail – previous experience is not essential as we can offer training
• giving a hand to rig and launch the boats – once you know how, it’s easier than you think!
• using your communication skills to promote the charity
• keeping the admin of the charity running smoothly
• offering your fund raising or event planning skills
• helping with refreshments or the BBQ at each sail
• offering to set up or help out at our social evenings
By telling us what you can do to help us make a difference, we can help you to do it. We are looking for people to come and be happy to share their enthusiasm with our team. Look out for our sailing and social events once the Covid restrictions are eased.
We understand that we all lead busy lives and so we don’t expect you to be able to volunteer your time and skills at all events. Don’t worry, if you cannot make it on a regular basis, we can work around your schedules. Why not have a look at our events page and see if you would like to come along to one of our shakedown sails, where our volunteers also get together. However, these sessions may be limited due to Covid restrictions so please check first either by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01797 223112.